Premier Inn opens the vaults at Bank
Eleventh hub by Premier Inn opens its doors at St Swithins Lane
Whitbread, the owner of the Premier Inn and hub by Premier Inn hotel brands, has opened the doors of its newest hub by Premier Inn ‘compact’ hotel at St Swithins Lane, Bank in the heart of the City of London.
The 61-bedroom hotel is the eighth hub hotel to open in London Zones 1 and 2 and takes the brand to eleven sites, and more than 1,565 hub rooms, across the country.
Developed in-house by Whitbread on the site of a former bank building, the hub by Premier Inn at Bank is in an enviable position two minutes’ walk from Bank Underground station and connections via four London underground lines.
Alex Flach, UK Development Director for Whitbread, said: “hub by Premier Inn has huge potential. The brand is very popular with our customers and enables us to gain a presence in the most central and connected locations. The latest opening at Bank is indicative of the quality locations we want for hub and how flexible we can be to acquire and develop the best sites. We’re actively looking for new opportunities to grow the brand.”
Whitbread’s hub by Premier Inn hotels are designed to offer smart, stylish and good value accommodation in the most central and connected locations. The brand features hotels with ‘compact’ bedrooms, enhanced by useful technology such as Smart TV’s and clever lighting. The hotel ‘Lounge’ offers through-the-day light touch dining in a modern space, with a quality bar offering.
Since launching the brand in 2013 Whitbread has expanded the brand to eight hub by Premier Inn hotels in Zones 1 and 2 in Central London and three hub hotels in Edinburgh.
A further six hub hotels (more than 975 rooms in total) are either on-site, in planning or in the secured development pipeline in London including at Quaker Street in Shoreditch, Farringdon Road, Berwick Street in Soho and adjacent to West Brompton underground station.
In February Whitbread announced it was seeking to expand the hub by Premier Inn brand beyond London and Edinburgh and into key cities across the UK and Republic of Ireland, as it grows Premier Inn and hub by Premier Inn to 110,000 bedrooms in the two markets.
The opening of hub by Premier Inn Bank is a further example of the continuing trend towards compact hotels in UK cities. According to research by Lambert Smith Hampton, the property consultancy, one in five of all hotel rooms opened in 2018 were for ‘compact’ hotels with London being a particular hotspot.
Whitbread’s owns and leases the hub by Premier Inn hotels in its estate. The 61-bedroom hub Bank hotel is owned freehold by Whitbread and employs 19 new team members.
The business is scheduling to open two further hub by Premier Inn hotels in London by spring 2020 – an 89-bedroom hotel adjacent to West Brompton underground station and a 110 bedroom hub by Premier Inn hotel at Berwick Street in Soho.
For more information, please contact:
- James Anderson, Property Communications Manager at Whitbread on 07850 944 798 / James.Anderson@whitbread.com
- Sofia Westaby / Richard Pia at Camargue on 020 7637 7366 / email@example.com
Notes to editors
- hub by Premier Inn London Bank is located at 5 St. Swithins Lane, Lomdon, EC4N 8AL
- Whitbread operates eight hub by Premier Inn hotels in London at Covent Garden, Tower Bridge, Spitalfields, St. James’ Park, King’s’ Cross, Westminster Abbey and Goodge Street.
- In Edinburgh, Whitbread operates three hub by Premier Inn hotels on the Royal Mile, Rose Street (City Centre) and Haymarket
- All hub by Premier Inn bedrooms include a luxury Hypnos double bed (kingsize in Bigger rooms), monsoon showers, 40” Smart TV, Free Superfast wi-fi and pull our desk and storage.
- Three room sizes are available at hub by Premier Inn hotels – the hub Standard room, the hub Bigger room and Universally Accessible bedrooms. Prices start from £69.
- Lambert Smith Hampton’s research on compact hotels can be found here – LSH Hotels Report 2018 “Disruption and Innovation in the Hotel Market” https://www.lsh.co.uk/-/media/files/lsh/research/2018/do-disturb-hotels-research-october-2018.ashx
About Premier Inn
Premier Inn was named the UK’s top-rated hotel chain for 2018 according to Which? With over 800 hotels and more than 76,000 rooms across the UK and Ireland, Premier Inn guests are never far from a great night’s sleep at fantastic value rates. Premier Inn hotels are in more locations than any other UK hotel brand for the ease and convenience of leisure and business travellers alike.
All Premier Inn bedrooms feature en-suite bathrooms, a luxurious Hypnos® bed, a choice of pillows, TV with Freeview and free Wi-Fi. A bar and restaurant is situated either on-site or next door to each hotel, offering a wide range of food and drink including a delicious all-you-can-eat breakfast.
Across the estate, the average Trip Advisor score for Premier Inn hotels is 4.2. Premier Inn has been awarded the Best UK Family Hotel in the TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice Awards, Best UK Hotel Group in the Silver Travel Awards and the Business In The Community Environmental Leadership Award. In 2018 Premier Inn was also named the UK’s top-rated hotel chain for the fourth year in a row by Which?
Great Ormond Street Hospital Children’s Charity is the National Charity partner of Premier Inn and to date team members, guests and suppliers have reached the milestone of £10 million, which formed part of the funding towards the Premier Inn Clinical Building, officially opened by HRH The Duchess of Cambridge in January 2018.
Outside of the UK, Premier Inn’s expansion plans are focused on Germany. Premier Inn opened its first hotel in Frankfurt in 2016 and has more than 6,000 Premier Inn bedrooms in its secured pipeline in Germany.