Premier Inn has Brits seeing double with its list of identical tourist hotspots
Forget travelling far and wide for some of the best sights the world has to offer, as Brits can find them much closer to home – what will you do?
With so many foreign travel plans on hold and millions more Brits than ever planning to extend to their summer with a UK staycation this year, Premier Inn has come up with a unique way for those missing their international travel to ‘see’ some of the world’s most famous landmarks – without even needing to leave the UK.
By ‘twinning’ some of the world’s most popular tourist landmarks with those that share a striking resemblance to some of Britain’s best sights, Brits can enjoy a whole range of landmarks and locations that can be found right here in the UK.
To compile the list, Premier Inn has combined its extensive knowledge of Britain’s best tourist spots with the expertise that veteran traveler, Graham Hughes, acquired on his groundbreaking, Guinness World Record certified, journey to visit every country in the world without flying. As a result, a long list of locations were then twinned based on their visual aesthetic as well as historic links.
Whether Brits were set to visit the Great Wall of China, or swim through Indonesian waterfalls, the UK’s biggest hotel company has twinned locations in a bid to offer Brits another chance to make travel memories this summer and beyond.
For example, the Penshaw Monument in Sunderland, while perhaps less well known to some, shares an almost exact likeness for the Greek Temple of Hephaestus in Athens. Or for those that had planned a holiday down under to see the Twelve Apostles in Melbourne, why not take a road trip to the Old Harry Rocks in Dorset for an equally as captivating view.
Graham commented: “I am lucky enough to have seen a lot of the world and to have experienced it in a unique way. Seeing so many incredible things around the globe made me seriously appreciate the breathtaking sights that we have available right here on our doorsteps. From waterfall walks in Wales to historical landmarks like Hadrian’s Wall, we don’t have to travel far to enjoy some of the best sights the world has to offer”.
The list of twin locations also means Brits can take advantage of the great value rooms that Premier Inn has available, with prices from as little as £35 and under*. The hotel chain has rooms available across the UK, so no matter when and where people want to travel, they can enjoy a UK summer staycation well into September and beyond.
Premier Inn’s Managing Director Simon Ewins said: “We know many of our guests love to explore the UK and our list of ‘twin’ locations will give guests lots of inspiration of new places to visit. Having over 800 hotels across the UK we are ideally placed to offer some great advice and show that you really don’t need to leave the UK to see some of the best views in the world.
“Plus, with an enhanced cleaning regime and some great deals available, guests can book and stay safely with confidence and we are looking forward to welcoming guests over the coming months as they explore some of the best spots the UK has to offer. With so many incredible choices right on our doorstep, the only question for those looking for a great staycation this summer and beyond, is what will you do?”.
Premier Inn recently announced its rigorous new Premier Inn CleanProtect hotel hygiene promise to help guests stay with confidence. The hotel chain has always operated stringent hygiene standards at every stage from check-in to check-out**, and so the new CleanProtect promise now further enhances these standards in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Developed with suppliers including global cleaning and hygiene product supplier Diversey, the new procedures, which include acrylic screens at check-in, floor markings, automatically-dispensed hand sanitiser in public areas and new key-return boxes, are in line with both World Health Organisation and the European Centre for Disease Control recommendations, as well as UK government guidance.
Visit www.premierinn.com to find out more information or to book your staycation.
For further information, please contact PremierInn@golin.com | 07730024302 / 07478476667
Notes to editors
List of Premier Inn hotels available at each location:
*Premier Inn prices as correct when searched on 18th August 2020.
• Premier Inn, Carlisle Central from £36.00 here (Sunday 4th October 2020)
• Premier Inn, Coleraine from £29.00 here (Monday 5th October 2020)
• Premier Inn, Sunderland City Centre from £29.00 here (Monday 5th October 2020)
• Premier Inn, Blackpool (North Pier) from £41.00 here (Monday 5th October 2020)
• Premier Inn, Hull West from £29.00 here (Monday 5th October 2020)
• Premier Inn, London Victoria £68.50 here (Monday 5th October 2020)
• Premier Inn, London Leicester Square from £71.00 here (Monday 5th October 2020)
• Premier Inn, Salisbury South Milford from £29.00 here(Monday 12th October 2020)
• Premier Inn, Bournemouth Eastcliff from £35.00 here (Sunday 4th October 2020)
• Premier Inn, Brighton City Centre from £36.00 here (Sunday 4th October 2020)
• Premier Inn, Oxford Kidlington Airport from £29.00 here (Monday 5th October 2020)
• Premier Inn, Durham City Centre £29.00 here (Monday 5th October 2020)
• Premier Inn, York City Blossom Street North from £36.00 here (Monday 5th October 2020)
• Premier Inn, Fort William from £59.50 here (Sunday 4th October 2020)
• Premier Inn, Cambridge City East from £38.50 here (Sunday 4th October 2020)
• Premier Inn, Oswestry House from £35.00 here (Monday 5th October 2020)
• Premier Inn, London Old Street from £68.50 here (Monday 5th October 2020)
• Premier Inn, London Aldgate from £76.00 here (Monday 5th October 2020)
• Premier Inn, Bath City Centre from £47.50 here (Monday 5th October 2020)
Full list of twinned locations:
• Great Wall of China, China → Hadrian’s Wall, Cumbria
• Giant’s Causeway, Iceland → Giant’s Causeway, Northern Ireland
• Greek Temple of Hephaestus, Greece → Penshaw Monument, Sunderland
• Eiffel Tower, France → Blackpool Tower, Blackpool
• Golden Gate Bridge, USA → Humber Bridge, Kingston-Upon-Hull
• Arc de Triomphe, France → Marble Arch, London
• New York City Times Square, USA → Piccadilly Circus, London
• Carnac Stones, France → Stonehenge, Wiltshire
• Twelve Apostles, Australia → Old Harry Rocks, Dorset
• Taj Mahal, India → Royal Pavilion, Brighton
• Palace of Versailles, France → Blenheim Palace, Oxford
• Notre Dame, France → Durham Cathedral, Durham
• Trevi Fountain, Italy → Castle Howard Atlas Fountain, Yorkshire
• Mount Fuji, Japan → Ben Nevis, Inverness-shire
• Rialto Bridge, Italy → Bridge of Sighs, Cambridge
• Pistyll Rhaeadr, Wales → Gitgit Waterfall, Indonesia
• Bloemenmarkt, Netherlands → Columbia Road Flower Market, London
• The Torres Glories, Spain → The Gherkin, London
• Thermal Baths, Budapest → Roman Baths, Bath
**Premier Inn hotels have long been recognised for consistently achieving excellent cleanliness and hygiene standards – as demonstrated by the scores from over a million post-stay guest surveys which were announced as part of Whitbread’s FY 19/20 results.
About Premier Inn
Premier Inn was named the UK’s top-rated hotel chain for 2018 according to Which? With more than 800 hotels and over 78,000 Premier Inn rooms across the UK and Ireland, Premier Inn guests are never far from a great night’s sleep at fantastic value rates.
Premier Inn hotels are in more locations than any other UK hotel brand for the ease and convenience of leisure and business travellers alike.
All Premier Inn bedrooms feature en-suite bathrooms, a luxurious Hypnos® bed, a choice of pillows, TV with Freeview and free Wi-Fi. A bar and restaurant is situated either on-site or next door to each hotel, offering a wide range of food and drink including a delicious all-you-can-eat breakfast.
Across the estate, the average Trip Advisor score for Premier Inn hotels is 4.2. Premier Inn has been awarded the Best UK Family Hotel in the TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice Awards, Best UK Hotel Group in the Silver Travel Awards and the Business In The Community Environmental Leadership Award. In 2018 Premier Inn was also named the UK’s top-rated hotel chain for the fourth year in a row by Which?
Great Ormond Street Hospital Children’s Charity is the National Charity partner of Premier Inn and to date team members, guests and suppliers have reached the milestone of £10 million, which formed part of the funding towards the Premier Inn Clinical Building, officially opened by HRH The Duchess of Cambridge in January 2018.
Outside of the UK Premier Inn is expanding rapidly in Germany with nineteen trading hotels and an open and committed pipeline of almost 10,000 bedrooms across 52 hotels. By the end of 2020 Whitbread expects to operate a total of 20 Premier Inn hotels across Germany.